Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Kicked TCF to the Curb - My Mistakes Could be Someone's Lesson

Move Your Money – Keep the Campaign Going

Just wanted to give you an update on my dumping TCF Bank.

Part of the following story is my fault
– but hopefully by sharing my story and my mistakes
– I can save others some money and headaches.

My Fault
When I started the process of closing down my account and moving my accounts – I left $15.00 in my checking account – cause I didn’t think I had any outstanding checks bigger than that. ( At that point, I hadn't written a check in over two weeks.)

Two weeks after that (a month after I started the process) I had a two month old check for $16.00 clear on a Friday.  I was overdrawn by $1.00. 

TCF sent the overdraft notice Friday  (no I don’t bank online) which I received on Monday after work – so when I went to the bank on Tuesday I had incurred overdraft charges for Friday, Saturday, Sunday Monday and Tuesday – at $29.95 PER DAY for five days– totaling $149.75 in fees.  And no they wouldn’t consider removing the overdraft charges, even though I have banked with them for over 20 years and haven’t had an overdraft in years.

Paid the $149.75 in overdraft fees and put in an additional $30.

In the meantime – my direct deposit from work to TCF had been stopped and there were no automatic deposits going in.

Not my Fault
At the end of December – with no notice to me – they changed my “free” checking account –- to one that had a monthly fee of $19.95 and a fee of $1.95 for giving me a copy of the one check that had cleared for $16.00 and really cost me $165.75.

Another $21.90 of unanticipated fees to TCF.

T-Day
I sent them a note prepared by my new bank and signed by me,  to close my account.  They would not accept the letter because the signature was not notarized.

So finally, I went in last week – when I was sure everything had cleared, to actually close the account and closed the account.  On the sign in sheet – two people before me came in to – Close Account.

When I sat down with the TCF rep – they closed my account.  They did not speak to me – they did not ask why a customer of 20+ years was closing their account.  They did not care.


Like I said – I made some mistakes – but TCF has now officially been kicked to the curb and hopefully others can learn from my experiences.

PLEASE - Keep the Move Your Money Campaign Going.
Every dollar you put into a local bank or credit union - goes back into your community to help your local economy.
DUMP the BIG BANKSTERS!

5,877 Occupiers Arrested for waking up America.
ZERO Banksters Arrested for destroying the US economy.

No comments:

Post a Comment